DEPARTMENT OF OTORHINOLARYNGOLOGY & HEAD& NECK SURGERY
Welcome to the department of Otorhinolaryngology and Head & Neck Surgery.
fascinating and challenging specialty where we have an opportunity to treat a spectrum
of diseases ranging from precision of micro surgery and endoscopic surgery on one
side to tiring and exhaustive surgeries of head, neck and skull base on the other.
To make it more complete, we have an opportunity to understand diseases in a better
way with a good diagnostic back up of audiovestibulometry and endoscopic procedures.
One of the names appropriately suggested for ENT specialist is Head Neck Physician
Otorhinolaryngology and Head & Neck Surgery is a relatively young speciality. The
development in science and technology e.g. availability of endoscopes, cameras,
microscopes, computers and internet has made things simpler for us as it is easy
to visualize, operate, make patient understand his problems as well as teach and
demonstrate students. Especially in last few decades, many more subspecialities
of ENT have come up – to name a few neurotology, skull base surgery, head and neck
surgery, vertigo, sleep apnoea syndrome and rhinology.
Our department at Subharti Medical College is also a frontier in the field of research.
The department with a good influx of patients in OPD and Ward has a very rich clinical
material. About 50 publications of the faculty members in the department is an attestation
to the research orientation of the department.
The department of Otorhinolaryngology and Head
& Neck Surgery is part of a 1050 bedded
multi specialty teaching hospital named Chhatrapati Shivaji Subharti Hospital of
N.S.C.B. Subharti Medical College Meerut. At present it is a full fledged department
with all the latest diagnostic and operative equipments. The department is providing
undergraduate teaching to 150 MBBS students every year.
The department of ENT organized the 27TH Annual Conference of A.O.I. U.P. State,
on 31 October and 1st November 2009 which was a raging success, heavily attended
with distinguished speakers and delegates from all over the nation.
As you browse through our pages, you will be acquainted with the various equipments,
infrastructure and facilities in the department which is perched to start the MS
Dr. Amresh Kumar Saxena
Professor and Head Department
of Otorhinolaryngology & Head & Neck Surgery
THE OBJECTIVES OF OUR DEPARTMENT ARE:
The student should be proficient in the following -
1. Describe the basic pathophysiology of common Ear, Nose and Throat ( ENT) diseases and emergencies;
2. Adopt the rational use of commonly used drugs, keeping in mind their adverse reactions;
3. Suggest common investigative procedures and their interpretation.
4. Examine and diagnose common Ear, Nose and Throat ( ENT) problems including the premalignant and malignant disorders of the head and neck;
5. Manage Ear, Nose and Throat ( ENT) problems at the first level of care and be able to refer whenever necessary;
6. Assist/carry out minor surgical procedures like ear syringing, ear dressing, nasal packing etc;
7. Assist in certain procedures such as tracheostomy, endoscopies and removal of foreign bodies.